Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hair of the dog doesn't work in this situation.

I think I finally feel like a woman in the first trimester - like I'm going to barf. I've noticed that smells seem a little stronger lately. For instance this morning on the way to work, the train station had that burning hair Metro smell. I don't know what this smell is, but I notice it every once in a while when I'm taking the train - it's just this very strong smell of something that is not at all nice. It's like one of the commuters is burning a pile of hair, or barbecuing squirrels or something. On my best days, I smell this smell and make a face. Today I smelled the smell and I thought, "I am going to yak all over this platform if I don't get the hell out of here pronto."

This smell is actually worse than the burning nuts smell you get in New York sometimes from the street vendors, and I thought that was bad. On the random disgusting urban smell-o-meter, the Metro station burning hair smell trumps all.

And I'm tired. I could go to sleep right now and not wake up until noon, no problem. Yesterday after lunch I actually took a nap in the media library at the office. I've literally never seen anyone go in there so I thought I was safe. I guess I'd been there maybe 20 minutes when I scared the life out of some random intern who walked in to discover me in the dark with my head on the table. Maybe, given his age, he'll assume I was hungover.

Actually this falling asleep in the middle of the day thing does remind me of my early twenties. I was living in Chicago, going out dancing and drinking all the time. The concept of having to get to bed at a decent hour meant nothing to me, plus I had friends who all worked as waitresses and bartenders, so they were total night owls and even though I worked days I tried to keep up with them, getting my groove on till way past midnight on nights before I had to work. Then the next day I'd be so out of it I'd try to snag a quick nap in the file room or the stall in the ladies room. You haven't had sleep until you've slept with your head on a toilet paper dispenser, people! So restful.

No comments:

Post a Comment